Dinkaran issue: Jurists suggest probe by Karnataka Lokayukta
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of
corruption allegations against Karnataka High Court Chief
Justice D P Dinkaran, two eminent jurists on Friday said suggested
the government order a probe by the Karnataka Lokayukta.
Former law minister Shanti Bhushan and constitutional
expert Anil Diwan, who met Law Minister M Veerappa Moily to
present their "point of view", said the "other alternative"
would be to ask in writing from Supreme court judges Markanday
Katju and A K Ganguli about Dinkaran`s integrity as the two
had been chief justices of the Madras High Court.
Dinkaran had worked under Katju and Ganguli.
"Why were the two not consulted by the collegium
before recommending his name...the collegium or the government
will have to consult Justice Katju and Justice Mukherjee. The
appointment cannot take place without consulting them or writ
can be filed as a nine-judge bench (in one of its decisions)
had recommended consultations," Bhushan told reporters.
Diwan said Lokayukta N Santosh Hegde (a former Supreme
Court judge) has all the "machinery in place to probe the
integrity and reputation of Dinkar. He is a judge of repute
and can carry out the probe...that is one way things
can be looked up".
Diwan said since the public was aware of the issue, a
probe by a reputed person would be appropriate and Dinkaran
should be given "proper opportunity".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!