Disqualified Karnataka MLAs approach High Court
Bangalore: A division bench of the Karnataka High Court will on Monday hear a joint petition by 16 rebel legislators against their disqualification by Speaker KG Bopaiah ahead of the trust vote earlier in the day.
"The petition has been admitted and posted for hearing by the bench headed by Chief Justice KS Khehar and Justice Manjula Chellur at 3.00 pm," an official of the court`s registrar office said.
Of the 16 legislators disqualified, 11 are from the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and five are independents. They jointly withdrew support to the 29-month-old tottering BS Yeddyurappa government on October 6 and triggered the latest political crisis.
Though the rebel lawmakers rushed their lawyers to the residence of the Chief Justice for a stay on the Speaker`s action before the Assembly met at 10.00 am for taking up the confidence motion, technical errors in the petition delayed its admission and they failed to get relief.
With the BJP government proving majority on the floor of the House by voice vote amid chaos and confusion after Yeddyurappa moved the confidence motion, the high-voltage political drama shifted to Raj Bhavan and the High Court in the vicinity of Vidhana Soudha.
Governor HR Bhardwaj, who advised the Speaker on Sunday against disqualifying the rebel legislators, decided to wait for the outcome of the case in the High Court and the report from the speaker before deciding on the next course of action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened