Do not release Cauvery water to TN: KPCC
Belgaum: Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee on Thursday urged the state government not to release Cauvery river water to Tamil Nadu, as mandated by the Supreme Court, though it would amount to contempt of its order.
"The government should not release Cauvery water to our neighbour even though it will attract contempt of the Apex Court," order," KPCC President G Parameshwar told reporters here.
He said a Congress delegation would meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Delhi and submit to him facts about the "distressing situation" prevailing in the state due to drought and water shortage problems.
The KPCC chief also faulted the state government for its "failure" to effectively present the Cauvery water sharing issue before the Supreme Court, Cauvery River Authority (CRA) and Cauvery Monitoring Committee (CRM).
The government had not taken Congress into confidence over the issue, Parameshwar said. "It did even consult us before meeting with Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa when she visited Bangalore for talks on the issue," he said.
The Supreme Court had yesterday directed Karnataka to release 10,000 cusecs of Cauvery water per day to TN and asked CMC to hold its meeting to decide the amount of water required by the states.
The apex court had also said its interim order would continue till CMC filed its report. It asked the committee to meet today or tomorrow and posted the case for further hearing on December 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...