Do not release Cauvery water to TN: KPCC
Belgaum: Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee on Thursday urged the state government not to release Cauvery river water to Tamil Nadu, as mandated by the Supreme Court, though it would amount to contempt of its order.
"The government should not release Cauvery water to our neighbour even though it will attract contempt of the Apex Court," order," KPCC President G Parameshwar told reporters here.
He said a Congress delegation would meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Delhi and submit to him facts about the "distressing situation" prevailing in the state due to drought and water shortage problems.
The KPCC chief also faulted the state government for its "failure" to effectively present the Cauvery water sharing issue before the Supreme Court, Cauvery River Authority (CRA) and Cauvery Monitoring Committee (CRM).
The government had not taken Congress into confidence over the issue, Parameshwar said. "It did even consult us before meeting with Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa when she visited Bangalore for talks on the issue," he said.
The Supreme Court had yesterday directed Karnataka to release 10,000 cusecs of Cauvery water per day to TN and asked CMC to hold its meeting to decide the amount of water required by the states.
The apex court had also said its interim order would continue till CMC filed its report. It asked the committee to meet today or tomorrow and posted the case for further hearing on December 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter