Don`t have numbers, will not move no-trust motion: Congress
Bangalore: The Congress will not move a no-confidence motion as it expects the BJP government to collapse on its own, Leader of the Opposition in the state Assembly said here today.
"We will not move", Siddaramaiah said, when asked if the Congress was planning to bring in a no-trust notice in the budget session, which commenced today. "We don`t have the numbers (to succeed)".
The BJP government "technically" enjoys a majority but the "ground reality" is different and it`s in minority as some of the Ministers supporting former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa are only continuing in office "to loot", Siddaramaiah alleged.
"The government will fall on its own", he said and likened the step to move a no-trust motion as "flogging a dead horse".
"If government respects the Constitution, it should recommend dissolution of the House, and seek a fresh mandate`, Siddaramaiah added.
In the 211-member House, after acceptance of resignation of 12 MLAs and two vacancies, the ruling BJP has a strength of 108, including an independent who is a minister, a nominated member and the Speaker.
The BJP headcount includes two members who have tendered their resignations, yet to be accepted by the Speaker K G Bopaiah.
Assembly elections are due in Karnataka in May.
After a four decade long association with the BJP and playing a key role in building it in the state, Yeddyurappa, quit the party two months ago and formally floated the Karnataka Janata Party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi