Don`t have numbers, will not move no-trust motion: Congress
Bangalore: The Congress will not move a no-confidence motion as it expects the BJP government to collapse on its own, Leader of the Opposition in the state Assembly said here on Monday.
"We will not move", Siddaramaiah said, when asked if the Congress was planning to bring in a no-trust notice in the budget session, which commenced today. "We don`t have the numbers (to succeed)".
The BJP government "technically" enjoys a majority but the "ground reality" is different and it`s in minority as some of the Ministers supporting former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa are only continuing in office "to loot", Siddaramaiah alleged.
"The government will fall on its own",he said and likened the step to move a no-trust motion as "flogging a dead horse".
"If government respects the Constitution, it should recommend dissolution of the House, and seek a fresh mandate`, Siddaramaiah added.
In the 211-member House, after acceptance of resignation of 12 MLAs and two vacancies, the ruling BJP has a strength of 108, including an independent who is a minister, a nominated member and the Speaker.
The BJP headcount includes two members who have tendered their resignations, yet to be accepted by the Speaker K G Bopaiah.
Assembly elections are due in Karnataka in May.
After a four decade long association with the BJP and playing a key role in building it in the state, Yeddyurappa, quit the party two months ago and formally floated the Karnataka Janata Party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands