`Don`t release a single drop of Cauvery to TN`
Bangalore: Leader of Opposition in the
Karnataka Legislative Assembly Siddaramaiah (Congress) on Monday
strongly urged the State government not to release Cauvery
river water to Tamil Nadu.
"Not even a single drop of Cauvery river water should be
released to Tamil Nadu", Siddaramaiah said, noting that the
water-sharing is a delicate issue that whips up passion. He
noted that there is already drinking water shortage in Mysore
He appealed to the Government to take firm and tough stand
on the issue, adding, "injustice" has been done to Karnataka
in the final order passed by the Cauvery Water Disputes
Tribunal in Februay 2007.
Noting that it has been challenged by the state in Supreme
Court, he said "it has to be legally fought".
Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda said he would make a
statement on Cauvery river water sharing issue, after which
his government is ready for a discussion on the subject in the
Gowda said last week the interests of Karnataka farmers
would be protected, and reiterated today there would no
compromise on the issue.
Tamil Nadu has filed an application in the Supreme Court
seeking urgent directions to restrain Karnataka from resorting
to summer irrigation and consequent depletion of storages in
the reservoirs in Karnataka, in contravention of the final
The application said that as on March 15, the storage in
the four reservoirs had depleted and only about 20 to 30 tmcft
of water would remain by the end of May, as against the full
storage of 114.5 tmcft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender