`Don`t release a single drop of Cauvery to TN`
Bangalore: Leader of Opposition in the
Karnataka Legislative Assembly Siddaramaiah (Congress) on Monday
strongly urged the State government not to release Cauvery
river water to Tamil Nadu.
"Not even a single drop of Cauvery river water should be
released to Tamil Nadu", Siddaramaiah said, noting that the
water-sharing is a delicate issue that whips up passion. He
noted that there is already drinking water shortage in Mysore
He appealed to the Government to take firm and tough stand
on the issue, adding, "injustice" has been done to Karnataka
in the final order passed by the Cauvery Water Disputes
Tribunal in Februay 2007.
Noting that it has been challenged by the state in Supreme
Court, he said "it has to be legally fought".
Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda said he would make a
statement on Cauvery river water sharing issue, after which
his government is ready for a discussion on the subject in the
Gowda said last week the interests of Karnataka farmers
would be protected, and reiterated today there would no
compromise on the issue.
Tamil Nadu has filed an application in the Supreme Court
seeking urgent directions to restrain Karnataka from resorting
to summer irrigation and consequent depletion of storages in
the reservoirs in Karnataka, in contravention of the final
The application said that as on March 15, the storage in
the four reservoirs had depleted and only about 20 to 30 tmcft
of water would remain by the end of May, as against the full
storage of 114.5 tmcft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read