EC announces schedule for Karnataka Assembly polls
New Delhi: Karnataka Assembly election will be held in a single phase on May 5 and counting of votes will be on May 8, the Election Commission said Wednesday.
Announcing the schedule for election to the 224-member Karnataka Legislative Assembly, Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath said "the model code of conduct shall come into force with immediate effect."
The CEC said the poll notification will be issued on April 10 when candidates can start filing nominations. The last date for nominations is April 17 and after scrutiny the next day, the last date for withdrawal of candidatures is April 20.
The polls will be held from 8 AM to 5 PM and electronic voting machines will be used for these elections. There are a total of 4.18 crore voters in Karnataka and as many as 50,446 polling stations will set up.
While 36 constituencies are reserved for SCs, 15 are reserved for STs in the state.
The tenure of the current 224-member Karnataka Assembly expires on June 3. The last assembly polls were held in three phases.
Sampath said adequate number of general, expenditure, police and micro observers will be deployed to check the use of money power during elections. There will also be close monitoring of any cases of paid news.
He said contesting candidates will have to file their details in a single Form 26, the revised format of filing affidavits listing out their criminal record and other details.
The CEC said polling parties and security forces deployed for poll duty will be randomised as per EC instructions under the supervision of election observers.
Detailed poll schedule is as follows:
Issue of notification: April 10
Last date of filing nomination: April 17
Scrutiny of nominations: April 18
Last date of withdrawal of nominations: April 20
Date of polls: May 5
Counting of votes: May 8
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani