EC announces schedule for Karnataka Assembly polls
New Delhi: Karnataka Assembly election will be held in a single phase on May 5 and counting of votes will be on May 8, the Election Commission said Wednesday.
Announcing the schedule for election to the 224-member Karnataka Legislative Assembly, Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath said "the model code of conduct shall come into force with immediate effect."
The CEC said the poll notification will be issued on April 10 when candidates can start filing nominations. The last date for nominations is April 17 and after scrutiny the next day, the last date for withdrawal of candidatures is April 20.
The polls will be held from 8 AM to 5 PM and electronic voting machines will be used for these elections. There are a total of 4.18 crore voters in Karnataka and as many as 50,446 polling stations will set up.
While 36 constituencies are reserved for SCs, 15 are reserved for STs in the state.
The tenure of the current 224-member Karnataka Assembly expires on June 3. The last assembly polls were held in three phases.
Sampath said adequate number of general, expenditure, police and micro observers will be deployed to check the use of money power during elections. There will also be close monitoring of any cases of paid news.
He said contesting candidates will have to file their details in a single Form 26, the revised format of filing affidavits listing out their criminal record and other details.
The CEC said polling parties and security forces deployed for poll duty will be randomised as per EC instructions under the supervision of election observers.
Detailed poll schedule is as follows:
Issue of notification: April 10
Last date of filing nomination: April 17
Scrutiny of nominations: April 18
Last date of withdrawal of nominations: April 20
Date of polls: May 5
Counting of votes: May 8
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!