EC announces schedule for Karnataka Assembly polls
New Delhi: Karnataka Assembly election will be held in a single phase on May 5 and counting of votes will be on May 8, the Election Commission said Wednesday.
Announcing the schedule for election to the 224-member Karnataka Legislative Assembly, Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath said "the model code of conduct shall come into force with immediate effect."
The CEC said the poll notification will be issued on April 10 when candidates can start filing nominations. The last date for nominations is April 17 and after scrutiny the next day, the last date for withdrawal of candidatures is April 20.
The polls will be held from 8 AM to 5 PM and electronic voting machines will be used for these elections. There are a total of 4.18 crore voters in Karnataka and as many as 50,446 polling stations will set up.
While 36 constituencies are reserved for SCs, 15 are reserved for STs in the state.
The tenure of the current 224-member Karnataka Assembly expires on June 3. The last assembly polls were held in three phases.
Sampath said adequate number of general, expenditure, police and micro observers will be deployed to check the use of money power during elections. There will also be close monitoring of any cases of paid news.
He said contesting candidates will have to file their details in a single Form 26, the revised format of filing affidavits listing out their criminal record and other details.
The CEC said polling parties and security forces deployed for poll duty will be randomised as per EC instructions under the supervision of election observers.
Detailed poll schedule is as follows:
Issue of notification: April 10
Last date of filing nomination: April 17
Scrutiny of nominations: April 18
Last date of withdrawal of nominations: April 20
Date of polls: May 5
Counting of votes: May 8
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know