EC to deploy Police Observers as it did during Gujarat polls
Bangalore: After its success in Gujarat elections, police officers will be appointed as observers to assist the Election Commission to conduct free and fair Assembly polls in Karnataka on May 5, a top electoral officer said.
Chief Electoral Officer Anil Kumar Jha told reporters that though the appointment of Police Observers costs the state exchequer, it was successful in the Gujarat polls.
One Police Observer drawn from other parts of the state will be deployed in each district from last date for filing of nominations, he said.
Jha said the EC has received 50 complaints relating to violation of model code of conduct and they are being investigated.
He said since January 28, 2013 the EC has received 5.85 lakh new applications for including their names in the voters` list and as many as 3,06,000 were accepted. "Verification process is on for remaining applications."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sebastian Vettel supports world champions Lewis Hamilton over yellow-flag row with Nico Rosberg
- Viral video: Indian girl pranks mother by saying she's lesbian, see what happens next – Must Watch
- President Pranab Mukherjee has been guardian, mentor to me: PM Modi
- Ridiculously funny video: Man shows his dance moves in middle of busy Mumbai street - Watch
- From Sept 1, rail passengers to get Rs 10 lakh insurace cover for premium of just Re 1