ED attaches Rs 884 crore of shares, assets in Reddy`s OMC
Bangalore: Shares and assets worth Rs 884 crore have been attached under Prevention of Money Laundering Act in Obulapuram Mining Company case involving former Karnataka Minister G Janardhana Reddy, the Enforcement Directorate on Wednesday said.
"Investigations revealed that OMC has illegally mined iron ore valued at Rs 884.13 crore during 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10," an ED statement said here on Wednesday.
The amount constitutes proceeds of crime for purposes of the PMLA and it is seen that the investments in Brahmani Industries Limited by OMC includes the amount identified as proceeds of this crime, the ED said.
As a result of investigations, the proceeds of crime amounting to Rs 884.13 crore in the form of 88,41,30,000 shares of BIL, having face value of Rs 10 each, held by OMC, have been provisionally attached under provisions of PMLA, it said.
BIL and its Directors have been directed not to dispose of, transfer, sell, move, lease out or deal with in any similar manner of the plant, machinery, land, equipment, appliances of BIL and not to alter its equity structure.
ED`s Bangalore Zonal Unit is investigating the case under the 2002 Act against OMC, Bellary, Reddy and others.
The proceedings under PMLA were initiated by ED pursuant to an FIR registered by CBI, Anti-Corruption Branch, Hyderabad for offences alleged to have been committed under certain sections of the IPC, Indian Forest Act, 1927, Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act, 1957 and Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988.
Subsequently, CBI filed a charge-sheet in December 2011 before the Special Judge for CBI cases, Hyderabad, in which the accused including OMC were charged for offences under various sections of the IPC and Prevention of Corruption Act.
"Further investigations are under progress," the ED added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'