EIA team inspects mining areas
Bellary: The Supreme Court appointed
Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) team Thursday visited mining
areas in Sandur taluk of the district to further assess the
damages caused by mining activity.
It would also inspect mining areas in Tumkur and Chitradurga
for about eight days from today, official sources said here.
The 10 member experts team, led by Dr V K Bahuguna,
Director General, Indian Council of Forestry Research and
Education, held a meeting with officials of Mines and Geology,
Forest and Revenue before embarking upon the field visit.
This is the second visit by the EIA team since November
The team is preparing a plan recommending restoration of
green cover, environment and ecology in the mining affected
zones Dr B N Shanker, Deputy Director, Dept Of mines and
geology, Bellary said here.
The EIA has already submitted a report on its assessment
of the situation in the mining areas of Karnataka to the
Supreme Court in which it pointed out severe health hazards
posed to people living in these districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea