EIA team inspects mining areas
Bellary: The Supreme Court appointed
Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) team Thursday visited mining
areas in Sandur taluk of the district to further assess the
damages caused by mining activity.
It would also inspect mining areas in Tumkur and Chitradurga
for about eight days from today, official sources said here.
The 10 member experts team, led by Dr V K Bahuguna,
Director General, Indian Council of Forestry Research and
Education, held a meeting with officials of Mines and Geology,
Forest and Revenue before embarking upon the field visit.
This is the second visit by the EIA team since November
The team is preparing a plan recommending restoration of
green cover, environment and ecology in the mining affected
zones Dr B N Shanker, Deputy Director, Dept Of mines and
geology, Bellary said here.
The EIA has already submitted a report on its assessment
of the situation in the mining areas of Karnataka to the
Supreme Court in which it pointed out severe health hazards
posed to people living in these districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29