Eid celebrated with gaiety in Karnataka
Bangalore: Eid-ul-Azha, the festival of sacrifice, was celebrated across Karnataka Wednesday with gaiety and religious fervour by tens of thousands of Muslims.
The festival also commemorates the willingness of Prophet Ibrahim to sacrifice his son Ismail as a test of faith and obedience.
A divine intervention at the last moment, however, spared Ismail`s life and a lamb was sacrificed in his stead.
In Bangalore, about 200,000 devotees congregated at Hazrath Khazi Abdul Khuddus Saheb idgah ground for prayer and sermon by the chief qazi.
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah joined former railway minister Jaffer Sharief and about 100,000 devotees at Bilal idgah on Bannarghatta Road in the city`s southern suburb to offer prayers.
Donning a traditional fur cap, Siddaramaiah exchanged greetings with many devotees and participated in a grand feast later.
Considered the second biggest Muslim festival after Eid-ul Fitr after Ramadan fasting, which was celebrated in August, Muslims sacrificed sheep after the prayers to commemorate the spirit of Ibrahim`s sacrifice and distributed it to the needy.
Eid was also celebrated in cities and towns across the state including Bidar, Bijapur, Gulbarga, Hubli, Mangalore, Mysore, Raichur and Yadgir in the northern region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray