Eight arrested for moral policing in Karnataka
Bangalore: Eight activists of the Hindu Jagarana Vedike were arrested in Karnataka for allegedly beating up five girls and eight boys at a weekend party on Mangalore`s outskirts, police said Sunday.
"We have arrested the eight for forcibly entering into a resort and bashing up about a dozen boys and girls," Additional Director General of Police Bipin Gopalakrishnan told a news agency from Mangalore, 350 km from here.
He said criminal case had been registered against them. The incident took place Saturday.
Police identified the accused from the footage of Kannada news channels and nabbed them after a night-long search.
"Besides the accused, the owner of the resort is being interrogated to ascertain the facts and verify claims by the accused that the college-going students were holding a rave party and indulging in obscene acts," Inspector General of Police CH Pratap Reddy said.
Moral policing came to haunt Mangalore three years after a similar incident in which some girls were attacked by the activists of the outfit at a pub in the coastal city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'
- Brexit: Germany, France, Italy vow `new impulse` for European Union
- Euro 2016: Holders Spain knocked out by Italy in last 16