Eight arrested for moral policing in Karnataka
Bangalore: Eight activists of the Hindu Jagarana Vedike were arrested in Karnataka for allegedly beating up five girls and eight boys at a weekend party on Mangalore`s outskirts, police said Sunday.
"We have arrested the eight for forcibly entering into a resort and bashing up about a dozen boys and girls," Additional Director General of Police Bipin Gopalakrishnan told a news agency from Mangalore, 350 km from here.
He said criminal case had been registered against them. The incident took place Saturday.
Police identified the accused from the footage of Kannada news channels and nabbed them after a night-long search.
"Besides the accused, the owner of the resort is being interrogated to ascertain the facts and verify claims by the accused that the college-going students were holding a rave party and indulging in obscene acts," Inspector General of Police CH Pratap Reddy said.
Moral policing came to haunt Mangalore three years after a similar incident in which some girls were attacked by the activists of the outfit at a pub in the coastal city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!