Eight arrested for moral policing in Karnataka
Bangalore: Eight activists of the Hindu Jagarana Vedike were arrested in Karnataka for allegedly beating up five girls and eight boys at a weekend party on Mangalore`s outskirts, police said Sunday.
"We have arrested the eight for forcibly entering into a resort and bashing up about a dozen boys and girls," Additional Director General of Police Bipin Gopalakrishnan told a news agency from Mangalore, 350 km from here.
He said criminal case had been registered against them. The incident took place Saturday.
Police identified the accused from the footage of Kannada news channels and nabbed them after a night-long search.
"Besides the accused, the owner of the resort is being interrogated to ascertain the facts and verify claims by the accused that the college-going students were holding a rave party and indulging in obscene acts," Inspector General of Police CH Pratap Reddy said.
Moral policing came to haunt Mangalore three years after a similar incident in which some girls were attacked by the activists of the outfit at a pub in the coastal city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back