Emotional tributes paid to Mangalore air crash victims
Mangalore: Emotional tributes were paid to
the 158 victims on the first anniversary of Mangalore air
crash, even as the issue of proper compensation for their kin
is yet to be settled.
Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa on Sunday paid
floral tributes here on the occasion.
Even a year after the air crash, the issue of proper
compensation to the kin of victims is still to be decided,
though the Air India management has paid certain amounts as an
ad hoc measure.
158 people had lost their lives, while eight others
survived, when Air India Express flight IX 812 overshot the
airport runway and crashed into a deep gorge.
The Mangalore Air Crash Victims Families Association
organised a function here yesterday to mark the first
anniversary, which was attended by scores of grieving
relatives and friends.
On the occasion, BM Hegde, retired Vice Chancellor of
Manipal University and veteran cardiologist, suggested setting
up of a Communal Harmony Memorial as a tribute to the victims.
The Association has been fighting for equal compensation.
Hegde said, "We are all with you in your fight for your
legitimate entitlements and justice. The fight will gain more
strength if there is a collective effort."
Association`s President Y Mohammed Beary said the
intention of setting up the forum was not to demand
compensation, but to protect the rights of the families.
"With the air crash the hopes of many a people of
ensuring a quality life to their dependents back in India had
been dashed. We cannot get our beloved people back," he said.
Meanwhile, the Kerala High Court will soon take up for
hearing a case for compensation, filed by the Association for
Abdul Salam who lost his son in the crash. A decision on this
case may open an avenue for other crash victims or their kin
also to get compensation as per the Montreal Convention.
The fatal crash had shaken up the aviation industry which
was forced to undertake a re-look at the safety oversight
system of Directorate General of Civil Aviation, covering
aerodromes, air navigation, airlines, flight operations,
training of pilots and all other related areas.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know