Ensure free, fair polls in view of Bangalore blast: BJP tells Karnataka EC
Bangalore: In light of the bomb blast near the BJP office here, the ruling party in Karnataka has petitioned electoral authorities calling for a serious review of security measures and steps to ensure that the upcoming Assembly polls are free and fair.
The timing of the blasts was "very crucial" as the elections are near, the party said.
"It is evident that these criminal elements want to create a fear psychosis amongst the public and show that the government machinery can`t be trusted when it comes to the security of its citizens," it said.
That the blast which left 16 persons injured took place in the area considered secure itself should be a matter of serious concern for those responsible for providing a secure general atmosphere, BJP state president Prahlad Joshi said in a letter to the Chief Electoral Officer.
"There is definitely a need for a serious review of the nature of security measures in place, considering the fact that it has been breached time and again," Joshi said.
The Election Commission should take extra steps especially in Malleshwaram Constituency, where the blast took place. These include the appointment of Special Observers and deploying Special Central Police Force, while ensuring full- fledged inquiry into the blast by the appropriate investigative agency, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof