Ensure free, fair polls in view of Bangalore blast: BJP tells Karnataka EC
Bangalore: In light of the bomb blast near the BJP office here, the ruling party in Karnataka has petitioned electoral authorities calling for a serious review of security measures and steps to ensure that the upcoming Assembly polls are free and fair.
The timing of the blasts was "very crucial" as the elections are near, the party said.
"It is evident that these criminal elements want to create a fear psychosis amongst the public and show that the government machinery can`t be trusted when it comes to the security of its citizens," it said.
That the blast which left 16 persons injured took place in the area considered secure itself should be a matter of serious concern for those responsible for providing a secure general atmosphere, BJP state president Prahlad Joshi said in a letter to the Chief Electoral Officer.
"There is definitely a need for a serious review of the nature of security measures in place, considering the fact that it has been breached time and again," Joshi said.
The Election Commission should take extra steps especially in Malleshwaram Constituency, where the blast took place. These include the appointment of Special Observers and deploying Special Central Police Force, while ensuring full- fledged inquiry into the blast by the appropriate investigative agency, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM