Entire case based on suspicion, politically motivated: Madani
Bangalore: PDP leader Abdul Nasser Madani, an
accused in the 2008 Bangalore blasts case, on Monday submitted in
a court here that the entire case against him was "based on
suspicion and politically motivated".
Madani`s counsel P Usman contended that there was no
prima facie case against his client when the PDP leader`s bail
plea came up for hearing before the Fifth Fast Track Court.
"Even when the investigation is on, the Home Minister
making a statement about Madani`s involvement in Chinnaswamy
Stadium explosions vindicates that he is being targeted
politically," he stated.
Two low intensity blasts ahead of IPL match in Bangalore
had left 15 persons injured on April 17 this year.
Usman described the case as a "repetition of Coimbatore
saga (serial blasts) where Madani spent over nine years in
jail but was later acquitted."
The February 1998 Coimbatore blasts had claimed 58 lives
and injured over 200 people ahead of an election meeting to be
addressed by senior BJP leader L K Advani.
The counsel submitted that even one and a-half-years
after the Bangalore blasts took place in July 2008, "there was
no allegation against Madani.
The arrest of first accused T Nazir on December 3, 2009
and subsequent recording of his confessional statement became
"the basis of the case", he said.
Two months later Madani "suddenly transformed from a
witness to an accused and his name first appeared in the
chargesheet on April 12, 2010", he noted.
Usman submitted that Madani had already surrendered his
passport to the Kerala police and "was ready to abide any
reasonable conditions, if granted bail".
The hearing of the bail plea of Madani, who is under
judicial custody, was adjourned till tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog