Family rift precipitated Jagan`s decision to quit?
Hyderabad: After months of stand-off with
the Congress high command, an alleged family rift apparently
precipitated Y S Jaganmohan Reddy`s decision to quit the party
and his Lok Sabha seat.
The alleged differences between an uncle from his
father`s side and another from his mother`s family was
threatening to spill onto the streets when Jagan realised he
had to find a quick escape route to safeguard the "family
prestige", sources close to the family said.
As his father YS Rajasekhara Reddy`s younger brother Y
S Vivekananda left for New Delhi reportedly to seek a berth in
the Kiran Kumar Reddy government, Jagan mounted an attack on
the Congress high command claiming that the was trying to
vertically split the family.
"Is it fair to lure my uncle Y S Vivekanada Reddy to
Delhi, thereby paving way for fissures in my family," he
angrily questioned AICC president Sonia Gandhi in his open
letter yesterday announcing his decision to quit the party.
However, the sources claimed that for a few months
now, Jagan was reportedly not on good terms with Vivekananda
who disapproved of his ways.
"Vivekananda apparently did not like the way in which
Jagan was totally being influenced by his other uncle Y V
Subba Reddy, Rajasekhara Reddy`s co-brother. Subba Reddy has
become Jagan`s karta, karma, kriya (be all and do all) much to
Viveka`s discomfiture," a source said.
Denying the allegation that the party was trying to
divide the family, Vivekananda today said he is ready to
contest in the bypolls for the seats vacated by Jagan and his
"I will remain a Congressman till my last breath. I am
a loyal and disciplined Congress worker," he told reporters.
Vivekananda is known to be a "humble, mild-mannered"
man and enjoyed respect in Kadapa, the family pocket borough.
He was elected twice to the Assembly from their hometown
The source noted that "Jagan`s fear is that he stands
no chance against his uncle any day in their home turf
Pulivendula or Kadapa. Such is the stature of Vivekananda,"
On the other hand, Subba Reddy was never in public
life and looked after his own business as well as YSR`s, the
"Subba Reddy is now Jagan`s key strategist. It is he
who is driving the rebel leader," he claimed.
The fissures within the family were thus obvious,
making Vivekananda to tread a different path, the source said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears