Farmers launch dharna in Karnataka secretariat
Bangalore: A group of farmers on Wednesday staged a
dharna in Vidhana Soudha, the state secretariat, rejecting the
price offered by the state for sugarcane growers.
Farmers led by Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha staged the
protest after talks with government failed to resolve the
price issue and also payment of arrears to farmers for
supplying sugarcane to sugar factories.
After the meeting, Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda said
government has agreed that the sugar factories offer Rs 1800
per tonne of sugarcane and the factories clear the arrears
within two months.
He said the offer made by the government has been accepted
by a majority of farmers and only a small number have
However, farmers` leaders insisted the government declare
Rs 2,200 as the price per tonne of sugarcane and launched the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail