Farmers launch dharna in Karnataka secretariat
Bangalore: A group of farmers on Wednesday staged a
dharna in Vidhana Soudha, the state secretariat, rejecting the
price offered by the state for sugarcane growers.
Farmers led by Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha staged the
protest after talks with government failed to resolve the
price issue and also payment of arrears to farmers for
supplying sugarcane to sugar factories.
After the meeting, Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda said
government has agreed that the sugar factories offer Rs 1800
per tonne of sugarcane and the factories clear the arrears
within two months.
He said the offer made by the government has been accepted
by a majority of farmers and only a small number have
However, farmers` leaders insisted the government declare
Rs 2,200 as the price per tonne of sugarcane and launched the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt