Farmers launch dharna in Karnataka secretariat
Bangalore: A group of farmers on Wednesday staged a
dharna in Vidhana Soudha, the state secretariat, rejecting the
price offered by the state for sugarcane growers.
Farmers led by Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha staged the
protest after talks with government failed to resolve the
price issue and also payment of arrears to farmers for
supplying sugarcane to sugar factories.
After the meeting, Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda said
government has agreed that the sugar factories offer Rs 1800
per tonne of sugarcane and the factories clear the arrears
within two months.
He said the offer made by the government has been accepted
by a majority of farmers and only a small number have
However, farmers` leaders insisted the government declare
Rs 2,200 as the price per tonne of sugarcane and launched the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city