Farmers launch relay fast; Central study team arrives in Bangalore
Mandya/Chennai: Protests against release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu snowballed in the river basin areas on Thursday, as a Central team arrived in Bangalore to assess the water storage levels.
Counter-protests also erupted in Tamil Nadu`s Southern districts where farmers and political activists blocked trains at various places, demanding release of two tmcft for delta areas as against 9,000 cusecs released by Karnataka.
In Mandya, the hotbed of Cauvery politics, farmers led by a body spearheading the stir, today began a relay fast and gave a call to all MLAs in the Cauvery basin districts to resign en masse.
President of the Cauvery Hitarakshana Samithi G Madegowda, who is always at the forefront of the Cauvery agitation, ignored appeals from political leaders to give up fast considering his age and ill-health and lashed out at the Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar for "betraying" farmers and people.
"Kabini reservoir is empty now. Chief Minister is inimical to farmers interest by increasing water flow into Tamil Nadu", Gowda, a former MP said addressing the gathering.
Several parts of Mandya district observed an undeclared bandh with students boycotting classes and protesters picketing government offices.
Bangalore witnessed a spate of protests in various parts, which triggered off traffic snarls and effigies of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa were burnt.
In Tamil Nadu, farmers and members of parties like MDMK, Viduthalai Siruthaigal Ammaippu and Nam Tamizhar Iyakkam blocked trains at Thanjavur, Tiruvarur, Kumbakonam, Nagapattinam and other places.
Farmers said though water had been released from Mettur following good inflows after Karnataka started releasing water as per a Supreme Court directive, water had not reached the channels due to indiscriminate sand mining in the river beds.
As the Cauvery row intensified, a four-member central team led by CWC Director B P Pandey arrived in Bangalore for an on the spot assessment of the water storage level in Cauvery basin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan