Farmers launch relay fast; Central study team arrives in Bangalore
Mandya/Chennai: Protests against release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu snowballed in the river basin areas on Thursday, as a Central team arrived in Bangalore to assess the water storage levels.
Counter-protests also erupted in Tamil Nadu`s Southern districts where farmers and political activists blocked trains at various places, demanding release of two tmcft for delta areas as against 9,000 cusecs released by Karnataka.
In Mandya, the hotbed of Cauvery politics, farmers led by a body spearheading the stir, today began a relay fast and gave a call to all MLAs in the Cauvery basin districts to resign en masse.
President of the Cauvery Hitarakshana Samithi G Madegowda, who is always at the forefront of the Cauvery agitation, ignored appeals from political leaders to give up fast considering his age and ill-health and lashed out at the Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar for "betraying" farmers and people.
"Kabini reservoir is empty now. Chief Minister is inimical to farmers interest by increasing water flow into Tamil Nadu", Gowda, a former MP said addressing the gathering.
Several parts of Mandya district observed an undeclared bandh with students boycotting classes and protesters picketing government offices.
Bangalore witnessed a spate of protests in various parts, which triggered off traffic snarls and effigies of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa were burnt.
In Tamil Nadu, farmers and members of parties like MDMK, Viduthalai Siruthaigal Ammaippu and Nam Tamizhar Iyakkam blocked trains at Thanjavur, Tiruvarur, Kumbakonam, Nagapattinam and other places.
Farmers said though water had been released from Mettur following good inflows after Karnataka started releasing water as per a Supreme Court directive, water had not reached the channels due to indiscriminate sand mining in the river beds.
As the Cauvery row intensified, a four-member central team led by CWC Director B P Pandey arrived in Bangalore for an on the spot assessment of the water storage level in Cauvery basin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you