Farmers launch relay fast; Central study team arrives in Bangalore
Mandya/Chennai: Protests against release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu snowballed in the river basin areas on Thursday, as a Central team arrived in Bangalore to assess the water storage levels.
Counter-protests also erupted in Tamil Nadu`s Southern districts where farmers and political activists blocked trains at various places, demanding release of two tmcft for delta areas as against 9,000 cusecs released by Karnataka.
In Mandya, the hotbed of Cauvery politics, farmers led by a body spearheading the stir, today began a relay fast and gave a call to all MLAs in the Cauvery basin districts to resign en masse.
President of the Cauvery Hitarakshana Samithi G Madegowda, who is always at the forefront of the Cauvery agitation, ignored appeals from political leaders to give up fast considering his age and ill-health and lashed out at the Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar for "betraying" farmers and people.
"Kabini reservoir is empty now. Chief Minister is inimical to farmers interest by increasing water flow into Tamil Nadu", Gowda, a former MP said addressing the gathering.
Several parts of Mandya district observed an undeclared bandh with students boycotting classes and protesters picketing government offices.
Bangalore witnessed a spate of protests in various parts, which triggered off traffic snarls and effigies of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa were burnt.
In Tamil Nadu, farmers and members of parties like MDMK, Viduthalai Siruthaigal Ammaippu and Nam Tamizhar Iyakkam blocked trains at Thanjavur, Tiruvarur, Kumbakonam, Nagapattinam and other places.
Farmers said though water had been released from Mettur following good inflows after Karnataka started releasing water as per a Supreme Court directive, water had not reached the channels due to indiscriminate sand mining in the river beds.
As the Cauvery row intensified, a four-member central team led by CWC Director B P Pandey arrived in Bangalore for an on the spot assessment of the water storage level in Cauvery basin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi