Farmers protest against Obalapuram mining firm
Bellary: About 1,000 farmers from Andhra
Pradesh on Saturday staged a protest in front of the Obulapuram
Mining Company (OMC), owned by the Reddy brothers, demanding
that their land acquired for the company be returned to them.
The protesters, led by Hyderabad CPI MLA K Ramakrishna,
razed three security sheds erected by OMC at its office in
Obulapuram, 20 km from here, and also pulled down the sign
boards of the company alleging it had also encroached their
lands, police said adding they dispersed later.
The Andhra Pradesh Industrial Area Development Board
allotted 230 acres to OMC owned by former Karnataka minister G
Janardhana Reddy for mining activity during the regime of late
chief minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy.
The protesters allege that the OMC has encroached about 515
acres of land illegally.
With OMC barred from any mining activity, the farmers want
their lands back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- SHOCKING: When Narsingh Yadav was caught cheating in a Maharashtra police exam!
- Delhi again failed her Nirbhaya, says DCW chief as 14-year-old Dalit rape victim dies
- Check out five stunning Instagram photos of ‘Mohenjo Daro’ beauty Pooja Hegde
- Xiaomi Mi Note 2 likely to be launched today
- Kabir Khan shares pic of stunning location where Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will begin