Farmers protest against Obalapuram mining firm
Bellary: About 1,000 farmers from Andhra
Pradesh on Saturday staged a protest in front of the Obulapuram
Mining Company (OMC), owned by the Reddy brothers, demanding
that their land acquired for the company be returned to them.
The protesters, led by Hyderabad CPI MLA K Ramakrishna,
razed three security sheds erected by OMC at its office in
Obulapuram, 20 km from here, and also pulled down the sign
boards of the company alleging it had also encroached their
lands, police said adding they dispersed later.
The Andhra Pradesh Industrial Area Development Board
allotted 230 acres to OMC owned by former Karnataka minister G
Janardhana Reddy for mining activity during the regime of late
chief minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy.
The protesters allege that the OMC has encroached about 515
acres of land illegally.
With OMC barred from any mining activity, the farmers want
their lands back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- VIDEO! Lionel Messi wins UEFA 'Goal of the Season' award for scoring this beauty
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's mushy love in 'Baar Baar Dekho' new still is just so aww!
- Bodo outfits to restart statehood movement on August 30
- 92 paise insurance premium for train travellers from August 31
- Saina Nehwal drops four places to be no.9, status quo for PV Sindhu