Farmers protest against Obalapuram mining firm
Bellary: About 1,000 farmers from Andhra
Pradesh on Saturday staged a protest in front of the Obulapuram
Mining Company (OMC), owned by the Reddy brothers, demanding
that their land acquired for the company be returned to them.
The protesters, led by Hyderabad CPI MLA K Ramakrishna,
razed three security sheds erected by OMC at its office in
Obulapuram, 20 km from here, and also pulled down the sign
boards of the company alleging it had also encroached their
lands, police said adding they dispersed later.
The Andhra Pradesh Industrial Area Development Board
allotted 230 acres to OMC owned by former Karnataka minister G
Janardhana Reddy for mining activity during the regime of late
chief minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy.
The protesters allege that the OMC has encroached about 515
acres of land illegally.
With OMC barred from any mining activity, the farmers want
their lands back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!