Farmers protest against Obalapuram mining firm
Bellary: About 1,000 farmers from Andhra
Pradesh on Saturday staged a protest in front of the Obulapuram
Mining Company (OMC), owned by the Reddy brothers, demanding
that their land acquired for the company be returned to them.
The protesters, led by Hyderabad CPI MLA K Ramakrishna,
razed three security sheds erected by OMC at its office in
Obulapuram, 20 km from here, and also pulled down the sign
boards of the company alleging it had also encroached their
lands, police said adding they dispersed later.
The Andhra Pradesh Industrial Area Development Board
allotted 230 acres to OMC owned by former Karnataka minister G
Janardhana Reddy for mining activity during the regime of late
chief minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy.
The protesters allege that the OMC has encroached about 515
acres of land illegally.
With OMC barred from any mining activity, the farmers want
their lands back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?