Flagship rice programme made a good impact on poor: CM
Bangalore: Brimming with confidence after the Congress wrested two Lok Sabha seats from the JDS, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Monday sought to showcase the initiatives of his government asserting that the flagship rice programme has made a positive impact on the poor.
Quoting a woman who interacted with him, Siddaramaiah said BPL families are now able to save Rs 800 per month following the government`s decision to implement "Anna Bhagya" which entails Rs 4,200 crore subsidy, providing a maximum of 30 kgs of rice at Re one from July 10 for BPL families.
"It has made a very good impact on poor people," the Chief Minister said at a press conference highlighting the achievements of his government after it completed 100-days in office on August 20.
From October two, ragi, jowar and wheat would also be provided at Re one, along with rice, with total quantity not exceeding 30 kgs as per the demand from people from different regions.
Stating that the government is monitoring implementation of the rice programme closely, he said licence of 43 fair price shops have been cancelled when it came to light that they were selling half the quantity in open market at hefty rates after giving the other half to the beneficiaries free of cost.
He said "Ksheera Bhagya" programme being implemented in the state, providing 150 ml milk thrice a week to 1.04 crore school and Anganawadi children would address the issue of hunger and malnutrition.
"The whole intention of the government is to make Karnataka a hunger-free State," Siddaramaiah, who was in a jovial mood after the Congress candidates won the Mandya and Bangalore Rural Lok Sabha bypoll last week, giving a jolt to the JDS in its stronghold.
"More than 60 poll promises of the over 160 made by the Congress has been announced in the budget and they will be implemented in the current financial year," added the Chief Minister, who recapped the Congress government`s other initiatives announced during the period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY