Former Infosys director files nomination from Bangalore Central
Bangalore: Former Infosys director V Balakrishnan was among 73 candidates who jumped into the electoral battle on the fifth day of filing of nominations for the April 17 Lok Sabha polls in Karnataka.
Nominations have been filed by 190 candidates since the poll process began on March 19 for 28 seats in the state, Chief Electoral Officer Anil Kumar Jha told reporters here.
Balakrishnan, who is pitted against sitting BJP MP P C Mohan, filed his papers as an AAP candidate from Bangalore Central.
Geetha Shivarajkumar, wife of Kannada cinestar Shivarajkumar and daughter of former Chief Minister late S Bangarappa, filed her nomination for Shimoga Lok Sabha seat on a JD-S ticket. The political novice is locking horns against Lingayat strongman and former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa.
Childrights activist Nina P Nayak (Aam Aadmi Party), who is facing an uphill task of taking on BJP`s Ananth Kumar and Congress` Nandan Nilekani, filed her papers from Bangalore South.
Jha said election officials have seized Rs 1.77 crore in cash so far from various parts of the State.
Another Rs 1.5 lakh and Rs 1.03 lakh in cash were seized from Ramnagar and Chittapura talukas, Jha said. As many as 4,444 sarees worth Rs 11 lakh were seized near Hubli and a lorry seized for transporting the items.
Hundred bags of rice were seized from Kolar, he said, adding that a total of Rs 28.68 lakh worth items and 14,406 litres of liqour were sezied so far.
Jha also said a case has been registered against BJP candidate from Mysore, Pratap Sinha for his reported incendiary statements during campaigning. The Mysore district Congress committee had urged the Mysore District Election Officer to initiate action against him.
The last date for filing nominations is March 26.
Scrutiny of papers will be taken up the next day. March 29 is the last date for withdrawal of nominations, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today