Former Union minister Basangouda Patil Yatnal arrested in riot case
Bijapur: Former Union minister and state BJP leader Basangouda Patil Yatnal, booked in a rioting case in connection with a communal clash here on May 26, was arrested on Wednesday, a top police officer said.
"We have arrested Yatnal for his alleged involvement in a communal clash which took place here a couple of days back," IGP (Northern Range) Bhaskar Rao told PTI here.
A case of rioting was registered against Yatnal and 29 others in connection with a communal incident, he said.
Yatnal has been booked under sections 153 (wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause riot), 295 (injuring or defiling place of worship) and 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) of the IPC, Rao said.
The situation, however, is under control and peaceful, Rao said. Tension had prevailed on May 26 in an area after two groups belonging to different communities clashed during victory rally organised by BJP to mark the NDA`s return to power.
The rally was led by Yatnal, who was a minister in the A B Vajpayee government, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir