Former Union minister Basangouda Patil Yatnal arrested in riot case
Bijapur: Former Union minister and state BJP leader Basangouda Patil Yatnal, booked in a rioting case in connection with a communal clash here on May 26, was arrested on Wednesday, a top police officer said.
"We have arrested Yatnal for his alleged involvement in a communal clash which took place here a couple of days back," IGP (Northern Range) Bhaskar Rao told PTI here.
A case of rioting was registered against Yatnal and 29 others in connection with a communal incident, he said.
Yatnal has been booked under sections 153 (wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause riot), 295 (injuring or defiling place of worship) and 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) of the IPC, Rao said.
The situation, however, is under control and peaceful, Rao said. Tension had prevailed on May 26 in an area after two groups belonging to different communities clashed during victory rally organised by BJP to mark the NDA`s return to power.
The rally was led by Yatnal, who was a minister in the A B Vajpayee government, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit, a sign of anti-elite revolt: analysts
- Deepika Padukone-Ranveer Singh had a bitter fall-out on their Paris vacay? - Details inside
- Jayalalithaa urges PM Narendra Modi to get fishermen released from Sri Lanka
- 'Girl boss': Sushmita Sen's weekend getaway with her adorable daughters!
- Getting out of bad relationship good for your health