Former Union minister Basangouda Patil Yatnal arrested in riot case
Bijapur: Former Union minister and state BJP leader Basangouda Patil Yatnal, booked in a rioting case in connection with a communal clash here on May 26, was arrested on Wednesday, a top police officer said.
"We have arrested Yatnal for his alleged involvement in a communal clash which took place here a couple of days back," IGP (Northern Range) Bhaskar Rao told PTI here.
A case of rioting was registered against Yatnal and 29 others in connection with a communal incident, he said.
Yatnal has been booked under sections 153 (wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause riot), 295 (injuring or defiling place of worship) and 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) of the IPC, Rao said.
The situation, however, is under control and peaceful, Rao said. Tension had prevailed on May 26 in an area after two groups belonging to different communities clashed during victory rally organised by BJP to mark the NDA`s return to power.
The rally was led by Yatnal, who was a minister in the A B Vajpayee government, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster