Former Union minister Basangouda Patil Yatnal arrested in riot case
Bijapur: Former Union minister and state BJP leader Basangouda Patil Yatnal, booked in a rioting case in connection with a communal clash here on May 26, was arrested on Wednesday, a top police officer said.
"We have arrested Yatnal for his alleged involvement in a communal clash which took place here a couple of days back," IGP (Northern Range) Bhaskar Rao told PTI here.
A case of rioting was registered against Yatnal and 29 others in connection with a communal incident, he said.
Yatnal has been booked under sections 153 (wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause riot), 295 (injuring or defiling place of worship) and 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) of the IPC, Rao said.
The situation, however, is under control and peaceful, Rao said. Tension had prevailed on May 26 in an area after two groups belonging to different communities clashed during victory rally organised by BJP to mark the NDA`s return to power.
The rally was led by Yatnal, who was a minister in the A B Vajpayee government, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani