Freedom at last for Veerappan`s wife
Bangalore: Wife of slain forest brigand
Veerappan Tuesday walked out a free woman from a jail here after
a court in Tamil Nadu granted her bail in a pending case.
Muthulakshmi was taken by a Karnataka state police team to
Tamil Nadu yesterday as there was a body warrant against her
and produced before a Fast Track Court in Gobichettipalyam in
Erode district in connection with a case there, police said.
FTC judge Krishnan ordered her release on bail and asked
her to appear before the court on May 19 in connection with
the case relating to sharing of money alleged to have been
paid as ransom for release of Kannada thespian Rajkumar, who
was kidnapped by the brigand in 2000.
Kolathur police had registered a case against
Muthulakshmi, stating that ransom was paid to her.
After being granted bail, Muthulakshmi was brought here late
last night and released from Bangalore Central Jail today.
She has already been acquitted in all five cases against
her in Karnataka.
Muthulakshmi was exonerated of charges in the last of the
five cases by a Chamrajnagar court on April 20 -- relating to
gunning down of six policemen by Veerappan in 1993.
She was shifted to central jail here from Mysore six months
ago after perceived threats to her safety and had not been
released since a case was pending against her in Tamil Nadu.
Muthulakshmi`s counsel said at Gobichettipalayam that
Karnataka police had informed them yesterday that she would be
produced before the Jail Superintendent at Bangalore, from
where she would be set free.
They also told her they are not empowered to release her at
Gobichettipalayam, but had to hand her over to the central
prison here, where she had been lodged.
Mohan said there was no case pending against her in
Karnataka, but there was one in Gobichettipalayam.
Veerappan, one of the most wanted criminals charged with
murder of hundreds of people during his jungle rule, was shot
dead by the Special Task Force Personnel in 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30