French diplomat arrested for raping daughter
Bangalore: French diplomat Pascal Mazurier, who has been accused of raping his three-and-a-half-year-old daughter, was arrested by Bangalore Police early Tuesday.
Mazurier, who works as Deputy Head of Chancery in the Consulate of France in Bangalore, was taken into custody at 6.30 am today and taken for a medical examination, following which he would be produced before a magistrate court in the city.
Police had registered a case of rape against the diplomat, under Section 376 of Indian Penal Code.
The police moved into arrest Mazurier after the Union government confirmed that he does not have diplomatic immunity and can be prosecuted in India. Mazurier holds a service passport and not a diplomatic passport.
The diplomat`s wife, Suja Jones Mazurier, who is an Indian citizen, had requested that her husband be restrained from leaving the country till legal proceedings were completed and that under no circumstance should he be allowed custody of their children, who are French nationals.
Suja and Mazurier have three children- a seven year-old son, the victim and a 20-month-old son.
Suja had reported the case to police with the help of a Bangalore-based NGO after her maid told her that her child was sexually abused by her father.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference