Gadkari slaps legal notice on Kumaraswamy
Bangalore: BJP president Nitin Gadkari on Saturday served legal notices on JDS leader HD Kumaraswamy and a Congress leader for alleging that mining magnates Reddy brothers had gifted a golden sword worth Rs 40 lakh to him.
Terming the allegation as "baseless" and defamatory, Gadkari threatened to initiate criminal proceedings if Kumaraswamy and state Congress spokesman VS Ugrappa did not tender an unconditional apology.
In the legal notice, Gadkari said Kumaraswamy`s charge that G Janardhana Reddy and G Karunakara Reddy gifted him a Rs 40 lakh worth golden sword during his recent visit to Bellary was "totally baseless" and it was made knowingly to harm his image.
Notices have also been served on two representatives of an English tabloid for publishing the story in its August 17 edition.
Gadkari has demanded that the tabloid publish an unconditional apology, failing which he would sue it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000