Gangtok contacts K`taka over security of Sikkimese
Gangtok: Sikkim on Friday asked Karnataka government to provide security for Sikkimese in the backdrop of the exodus of people from the North east from Bangalore.
Sikkim Director General of Police Jasbir Singh and Chief Secretary Karma Gyatso contacted their counterparts in Karnataka and were told that the situation was under control and claims of targetted violence against the people of Northeast in Bangalore were rumours, a government release said.
Karnataka government also assured them that necessary action to keep people from Sikkim safe would be taken if required, the sources said.
The DGP, who was approached by concerned parents and representatives from the civil society yesterday, also provided names and locations of where Sikkimese students live in Bangalore and Karnataka police assured security to them in the event of any untoward incident.
Gyatso too conveyed Sikkim`s concern about its people in the southern city to Karnataka Chief Secretary S. V. Ranganath during the day and was assured that the law and order situation there was fully under control.
Speaker K T Gyaltsen was requested by Gyatso to take up the issue during his visit to the southern state scheduled for September 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM