Gangtok contacts K`taka over security of Sikkimese
Gangtok: Sikkim on Friday asked Karnataka government to provide security for Sikkimese in the backdrop of the exodus of people from the North east from Bangalore.
Sikkim Director General of Police Jasbir Singh and Chief Secretary Karma Gyatso contacted their counterparts in Karnataka and were told that the situation was under control and claims of targetted violence against the people of Northeast in Bangalore were rumours, a government release said.
Karnataka government also assured them that necessary action to keep people from Sikkim safe would be taken if required, the sources said.
The DGP, who was approached by concerned parents and representatives from the civil society yesterday, also provided names and locations of where Sikkimese students live in Bangalore and Karnataka police assured security to them in the event of any untoward incident.
Gyatso too conveyed Sikkim`s concern about its people in the southern city to Karnataka Chief Secretary S. V. Ranganath during the day and was assured that the law and order situation there was fully under control.
Speaker K T Gyaltsen was requested by Gyatso to take up the issue during his visit to the southern state scheduled for September 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured