Gita learning not a K`taka govt program: Minister
Karwar (Karnataka): Facing a storm of controversy
over a programme to teach the Bhagavad Gita in primary and
higher secondary schools, the BJP government in Karnataka
on Tuesday said it neither sponsored nor funded the exercise.
"The Gita programme has been going on since 2007 under the
leadership of Swarnavalli Mutt head Gangadhareshwara
Sawaraswathi across the state. But unfortunately it has hogged
the lime light now," Minister for Primary and Secondary
Education Visveshwara Hegde Kageri told PTI over phone.
He said the programme has been organised in 26 districts
since 2007 without any opposition, but, "some persons" raked
up the controversy when it was being held in Kolar, the 27th
The government had only asked the education department to
extend its cooperation to the programme as it had been doing
for other programmes like planting of saplings organised by
various organisations, Kageri said.
Kageri`s reported remarks at a function in Kolar decrying
those opposing Gita learning has come under flak from Students
Federation of India (SFI) activists, who have been
spearheading the agitation.
Karnataka High Court last week ordered issue of notices to
the state and Union governments on education department`s
circular on teaching of Gita in primary and higher secondary
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu