Gita learning not a K`taka govt program: Minister
Karwar (Karnataka): Facing a storm of controversy
over a programme to teach the Bhagavad Gita in primary and
higher secondary schools, the BJP government in Karnataka
on Tuesday said it neither sponsored nor funded the exercise.
"The Gita programme has been going on since 2007 under the
leadership of Swarnavalli Mutt head Gangadhareshwara
Sawaraswathi across the state. But unfortunately it has hogged
the lime light now," Minister for Primary and Secondary
Education Visveshwara Hegde Kageri told PTI over phone.
He said the programme has been organised in 26 districts
since 2007 without any opposition, but, "some persons" raked
up the controversy when it was being held in Kolar, the 27th
The government had only asked the education department to
extend its cooperation to the programme as it had been doing
for other programmes like planting of saplings organised by
various organisations, Kageri said.
Kageri`s reported remarks at a function in Kolar decrying
those opposing Gita learning has come under flak from Students
Federation of India (SFI) activists, who have been
spearheading the agitation.
Karnataka High Court last week ordered issue of notices to
the state and Union governments on education department`s
circular on teaching of Gita in primary and higher secondary
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Massive surge in BJP's seats; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway