Give me people, I myself will clear garbage: Guv
Bangalore: Taking a potshot at the city corporation for its `failure` in efficiently tackling the matter of the city`s garbage, Karnataka Governor H R Bhardwaj on Friday offered to clear the waste himself.
"I had directed the Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagar Palike BBMP) officials to clear the garbage piled up across the city, but they have failed to take any steps to do it. If I get the help of 20-odd people I myself will clear the waste," he told reporters on the sidelines of an event here.
Lambasting the BJP-ruled BBMP, Bhardwaj wondered if the local administration had turned blind and could not see the filth spread across the city.
"Bangalore, which had earned the sobriquet of `Garden City,` has turned into a `Garbage City,`" he said.
BBMP officials should take immediate steps to lift the accumulated garbage and avoid expressing inability to do so, he said.
The Governor also said the District Incharge Minister R Ashok should solve the problem by engaging additional contractors.
"Maintaining clean city should be given priority, nobody should forget this. For administrators, public interest is very important. Even if they don`t do anything else let them remove the garbage," he added.
Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee President G Parameshwar, who toured the city, warned of an agitation if no action was immediately taken to clear the waste.
BJP leader in the BBMP N Nagaraj said about 100 lorries were engaged to remove it.
Officials in 198 wards have been asked to take action and work round-the-clock until all of it was taken care of, he said.
Ashok has also assured that Rs one lakh would be sanctioned for removing the garbage and the work completed by tomorrow evening.
The entire garbage disposal apparatus in the city has virtually collapsed with two of the three major landfills shut and the threat of closure looming large over the last one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand