Give me people, I myself will clear garbage: Guv
Bangalore: Taking a potshot at the city corporation for its `failure` in efficiently tackling the matter of the city`s garbage, Karnataka Governor H R Bhardwaj on Friday offered to clear the waste himself.
"I had directed the Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagar Palike BBMP) officials to clear the garbage piled up across the city, but they have failed to take any steps to do it. If I get the help of 20-odd people I myself will clear the waste," he told reporters on the sidelines of an event here.
Lambasting the BJP-ruled BBMP, Bhardwaj wondered if the local administration had turned blind and could not see the filth spread across the city.
"Bangalore, which had earned the sobriquet of `Garden City,` has turned into a `Garbage City,`" he said.
BBMP officials should take immediate steps to lift the accumulated garbage and avoid expressing inability to do so, he said.
The Governor also said the District Incharge Minister R Ashok should solve the problem by engaging additional contractors.
"Maintaining clean city should be given priority, nobody should forget this. For administrators, public interest is very important. Even if they don`t do anything else let them remove the garbage," he added.
Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee President G Parameshwar, who toured the city, warned of an agitation if no action was immediately taken to clear the waste.
BJP leader in the BBMP N Nagaraj said about 100 lorries were engaged to remove it.
Officials in 198 wards have been asked to take action and work round-the-clock until all of it was taken care of, he said.
Ashok has also assured that Rs one lakh would be sanctioned for removing the garbage and the work completed by tomorrow evening.
The entire garbage disposal apparatus in the city has virtually collapsed with two of the three major landfills shut and the threat of closure looming large over the last one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested