Give me people, I myself will clear garbage: Guv
Bangalore: Taking a potshot at the city corporation for its `failure` in efficiently tackling the matter of the city`s garbage, Karnataka Governor H R Bhardwaj on Friday offered to clear the waste himself.
"I had directed the Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagar Palike BBMP) officials to clear the garbage piled up across the city, but they have failed to take any steps to do it. If I get the help of 20-odd people I myself will clear the waste," he told reporters on the sidelines of an event here.
Lambasting the BJP-ruled BBMP, Bhardwaj wondered if the local administration had turned blind and could not see the filth spread across the city.
"Bangalore, which had earned the sobriquet of `Garden City,` has turned into a `Garbage City,`" he said.
BBMP officials should take immediate steps to lift the accumulated garbage and avoid expressing inability to do so, he said.
The Governor also said the District Incharge Minister R Ashok should solve the problem by engaging additional contractors.
"Maintaining clean city should be given priority, nobody should forget this. For administrators, public interest is very important. Even if they don`t do anything else let them remove the garbage," he added.
Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee President G Parameshwar, who toured the city, warned of an agitation if no action was immediately taken to clear the waste.
BJP leader in the BBMP N Nagaraj said about 100 lorries were engaged to remove it.
Officials in 198 wards have been asked to take action and work round-the-clock until all of it was taken care of, he said.
Ashok has also assured that Rs one lakh would be sanctioned for removing the garbage and the work completed by tomorrow evening.
The entire garbage disposal apparatus in the city has virtually collapsed with two of the three major landfills shut and the threat of closure looming large over the last one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!