Godman Nithyananda booked by police for physical assault
Bidadi (Karnataka): In fresh trouble for controversial godman Nithyananda, police have registered two FIRs against him and his followers for charges including physical assault.
The FIRs were filed on complaints from a regional TV channel reporter and activists of Nava Nirmana Sene in connection with an altercation at Nithyananda`s ashram here in Ramanagara District last night, police said.
On a counter complaint by two followers of Nithyananda, police also registered two FIRs against the reporter and activists of the Sene for alleged outrage of modest, physical assault and threat to life, they said.
"Four FIRs were lodged in the Bidadi police station in connection with altercation at Nithyananda`s ashram last night" Ramanagara Supreintendent of Police Anupam Agarwal told PTI.
Nithyananda is facing criminal charges including rape based on complaints from some former disciples last year. He was arrested and later released on bail.
The reporter in his complaint against Nithyananda and four of his followers alleged that he was assaulted and threatened after he asked a question at a press conference convened by the godman in the backdrop of charges of sexual abuse levelled against him by a US-based woman.
Later, some activists belonging to the local outfit "Nava Nirmana Sene" staged a protest in front of the ashram protesting the `assault` of the reporters and demanding justice.
Meanwhile, some activists belonging to Karnataka Rakshana Vedike today allegedly barged into the Ashram and protested against Nithyananda, resulted in a verbal altercation between them and the followers, police said.
However, police rushed to the spot and brought the situation under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY