Goondas Act to be invoked in law student gang-rape case
Bangalore: City Police on Monday said they would invoke the Goondas Act against seven persons arrested in connection with the gang-rape of a law student from Nepal in the city last year.
"Yes we have decided to invoke Goonda Act against all the seven arrested for gangraping the woman law student on October 13 last year. The proposal in this regrad has been prepared," DCP (West) D C Rajappa said.
The decision comes in the wake of Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister R Ashok`s announcement last week that the Goonda Act would be invoked against rapists.
Explaining the implications of invoking the Act against the rapists, Joint
Commissioner of Police (Crime-West) Pranab Mohanty said the culprits would be put behind bars for a "substantial" period, giving a reprieve for police to conduct proper investigation.
Earlier, the accused were getting bail and committing fresh crimes, he said.
The accused would also be treated as a threat to society and would be produced before the court only after review by an advisory board, Mohanty said.
The 21-year-old student of National Law School of India University was allegedly raped by an eight-member gang deep inside the wooded campus area of Bangalore University on the night of October 13, 2012 after the gang waylaid the car in which she was going with her boyfriend.
Seven of them were arrested on October 20, while the other managed to escape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!