Goondas Act to be invoked in law student gang-rape case
Bangalore: City Police on Monday said they would invoke the Goondas Act against seven persons arrested in connection with the gang-rape of a law student from Nepal in the city last year.
"Yes we have decided to invoke Goonda Act against all the seven arrested for gangraping the woman law student on October 13 last year. The proposal in this regrad has been prepared," DCP (West) D C Rajappa said.
The decision comes in the wake of Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister R Ashok`s announcement last week that the Goonda Act would be invoked against rapists.
Explaining the implications of invoking the Act against the rapists, Joint
Commissioner of Police (Crime-West) Pranab Mohanty said the culprits would be put behind bars for a "substantial" period, giving a reprieve for police to conduct proper investigation.
Earlier, the accused were getting bail and committing fresh crimes, he said.
The accused would also be treated as a threat to society and would be produced before the court only after review by an advisory board, Mohanty said.
The 21-year-old student of National Law School of India University was allegedly raped by an eight-member gang deep inside the wooded campus area of Bangalore University on the night of October 13, 2012 after the gang waylaid the car in which she was going with her boyfriend.
Seven of them were arrested on October 20, while the other managed to escape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared