Governor rejects K`taka govt nominee as Lokayukta
Bangalore: Karnataka Governor HR Bhardwaj on Monday rejected the Bharatiya Janata Party government`s nominee SR Bannurmath, a former Kerala High Court chief justice, as the state`s new Lokayukta (ombudsman).
A Raj Bhavan statement said the Governor "has formally rejected the advice" of the Chief Minister.
Bhardwaj`s action follows Bannurmath himself deciding to opt out in view of a row that he is the nominee of scam-hit former chief minister BS Yeddyurappa besides allegations that he built a house in Bangalore on a plot meant for civic amenities.
In a letter to the Chief Minister, Bannurmath requested him not to insist on his appointment as Lokayukta.
The post has been vacant since September 19 last year following resignation former Supreme Court judge Shivaraj V Patil following a controversy that he had acquired two house sites in Bangalore from housing societies in violation of rules.
Yeddyurappa`s successor DV Sadananda Gowda had recommended Bannurmath`s name on October 27 last year.
Since then Bhardwaj on one side and Gowda and the BJP on the other have been publicly sparring over the Governor`s refusal to appoint Bannurmath.
The formal rejection by Bhardwaj clears the way for Gowda government to search for new names.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks