Govt asked to relocate Ambedkar statue in ceremonial way
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court Tuesday orally directed the government to relocate the statue of Babasaheb Ambedkar installed in the precincts of Vidhana Soudha in a ceremonial way on a petition filed by dalit organisations challenging the court`s order that the statue be shifted.
After a memo was filed by the earlier petitioner, advocate A V Amaranathan, pointing out the statue at present was hanging from the pedestal which was disrespectful to Ambedkar, a Division Bench headed by acting Chief Justice K Sreedhar Rao observed "agree for a relocation. Let it be done on a ceremonial way. It is not respectful to keep the statue hanging".
The counsel for the Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation submitted that the statue will be lowered once the work is completed.
The court earlier sought to know from the petitioners (dalit organisations) in what way the dignity of the personality is affected by relocating his statute and asked them to suggest a place where it can be relocated.
The court then adjourned the petition to tomorrow.
It is on the earlier petition filed by Amaranathan seeking shifting of the statue as it was impeding the metro rail work in the city, that the court had passed the order for its shifting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Oh fresh! Check out Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor's chemistry in this latest still from 'Befikre'
- Watch: Pune bakery workers forced to do sit-ups for refusing to pay donation for Ganesh festival
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Assam
- West Indies vs India 2016: Trinidad board launches probe after farcical washout
- Act of revenge! Gurgaon woman kidnapped, gang-raped for complaining against harassers