Govt, SEC, can seek clarification from SC on local body polls
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court on Tuesday said the government, state election commission and the petitioner were at liberty to seek a clarfication from the Supreme Court regarding interpretation of the words "reservation of seats as are presently existing" in its order dated Feb 1 on holding of local body elections in the state.
The division bench headed by acting Chief Justice K Sreedhar Rao passed the said order on a writ petition filed by a dalit minority organisation seeking the quashing of the order Feb 5, 2013 passed by the State Election Commission deciding to conduct the elections as per the existing reservation list that has been published in 2007.
Govt, SEC, can seek clarification from SC on local body polls On Feb 1, the apex court had dismissed the Karnataka government`s plea seeking postponement of urban local body elections and said the SEC could go ahead with the elections "as per existing reservation of seats".
The petitioner had sought holding of elections as per the provisional wardwise list of 2011 which allows 50 per cent reservation for women whereas the Karnataka Municipal Act 2007, accords only 33 per cent reservation for women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy