Govt wants to whitewash criminal cases: Bhardwaj
Bangalore: Karnataka Governor H R Bhardwaj
today accused the government of adopting delaying tactics in
appointment of a new Lokayukta to "whitewash" criminal cases
and questioned the consultation process in recommending the
name of S R Bannurmath to head the anti-corruption watchdog.
Asked if the Government is indulging in deliberate delay,
Bhardwaj told reporters, "This will be explosive material if I
speak about the motives. Is there any doubt about what Santosh
(Hegde, a former Karnataka Lokayukta) said yesterday?. All
these motives, this is just to help those criminals."
"If the Lokayukta comes and whitewashes these crimes, then
what will you do?" he said when asked if a "head-less"
Lokayukta would "help" the state government.
Bhardwaj also alleged that the government had recently
transferred "good officers" from the Lokayukta institution.
"And now they want to whitewash all these cases which
have been brought out by the Commission (Lokaykta report on
illegal mining)," he said.
The government had recommended the name of Bannurmath, a
former Chief Justice of Kerala High Court, to head the
Lokayukta but the Governor questioned the recommendation,
citing allegations against Bannurmath that surfaced in
sections of the media.
The government in recent weeks indicated that it`s firm
on its choice and maintained that there are no documents
before it suggesting wrong-doing by Bannurmath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan