Govt wants to whitewash criminal cases: Bhardwaj
Bangalore: Karnataka Governor H R Bhardwaj
today accused the government of adopting delaying tactics in
appointment of a new Lokayukta to "whitewash" criminal cases
and questioned the consultation process in recommending the
name of S R Bannurmath to head the anti-corruption watchdog.
Asked if the Government is indulging in deliberate delay,
Bhardwaj told reporters, "This will be explosive material if I
speak about the motives. Is there any doubt about what Santosh
(Hegde, a former Karnataka Lokayukta) said yesterday?. All
these motives, this is just to help those criminals."
"If the Lokayukta comes and whitewashes these crimes, then
what will you do?" he said when asked if a "head-less"
Lokayukta would "help" the state government.
Bhardwaj also alleged that the government had recently
transferred "good officers" from the Lokayukta institution.
"And now they want to whitewash all these cases which
have been brought out by the Commission (Lokaykta report on
illegal mining)," he said.
The government had recommended the name of Bannurmath, a
former Chief Justice of Kerala High Court, to head the
Lokayukta but the Governor questioned the recommendation,
citing allegations against Bannurmath that surfaced in
sections of the media.
The government in recent weeks indicated that it`s firm
on its choice and maintained that there are no documents
before it suggesting wrong-doing by Bannurmath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog