Govt wants to whitewash criminal cases: Bhardwaj
Bangalore: Karnataka Governor H R Bhardwaj
today accused the government of adopting delaying tactics in
appointment of a new Lokayukta to "whitewash" criminal cases
and questioned the consultation process in recommending the
name of S R Bannurmath to head the anti-corruption watchdog.
Asked if the Government is indulging in deliberate delay,
Bhardwaj told reporters, "This will be explosive material if I
speak about the motives. Is there any doubt about what Santosh
(Hegde, a former Karnataka Lokayukta) said yesterday?. All
these motives, this is just to help those criminals."
"If the Lokayukta comes and whitewashes these crimes, then
what will you do?" he said when asked if a "head-less"
Lokayukta would "help" the state government.
Bhardwaj also alleged that the government had recently
transferred "good officers" from the Lokayukta institution.
"And now they want to whitewash all these cases which
have been brought out by the Commission (Lokaykta report on
illegal mining)," he said.
The government had recommended the name of Bannurmath, a
former Chief Justice of Kerala High Court, to head the
Lokayukta but the Governor questioned the recommendation,
citing allegations against Bannurmath that surfaced in
sections of the media.
The government in recent weeks indicated that it`s firm
on its choice and maintained that there are no documents
before it suggesting wrong-doing by Bannurmath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read