Gowda another Vokkaliga CM not to complete term
Bangalore: With the BJP deciding to make Jagadish Shettar the next Chief Minister, D V Sadananda Gowda has become the latest Chief Minister belonging to the Vokkaliga community who could not complete their terms.
No Chief Minister belonging to Vokkaliga community has been able to complete their five-year term in Karnataka since 1956. Kengal Hanumanthaiah, Kadidal Manjappa, H D Deve Gowda, H D Kumaraswamy and D V Sadananda Gowda had to make way for others due to developments which have been witnessed in the state since 1956.
Hanumanthaiah, who is best remembered for his vision and contribution to the construction of Vidhana Soudha, the state secretariat, was the chief minister of the old Mysore State from March 30, 1952 to August 19, 1956.
Hanumanthaih had to resign as Chief Minister shortly before the unification of Karnataka in 1956.He, however, moved on to national level and was continuously elected as a member of parliament representing Bangalore city from 1962 to 1977.
Kadidal Manjappa was the chief minister of the old Mysore state for a short period, from August 19, 1956 to October 31, 1956. He voluntarily relinquished his post and S Nijalinagappa took over the reins.
Haradanahalli Doddegowda Deve Gowda, who became the 14th Chief Minister of the state from 1994 to 1996, could not complete his tenure as the United Front, a conglomeration of non-Congress and non-BJP regional parties, chose him to head the government and he became the 11th Prime Minister.
S M Krishna, who was the Chief Minister from 1999 to 2004, also could not complete the term as the Congress party went to early polls.
H D Kumaraswamy,who headed the JDS-BJP coalition government from February 4 2006 to October 2007 lasted 20 months and his government collapsed after BJP withdrew support in the wake of differences between the two parties over transfer of power.
D V Sadananda Gowda, who was 26th chief minister from August 4, 2011 to July 8, 2012, also could not complete the term as he was asked to resign by the BJP central leadership to address the infighting in Karnataka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- HP's privacy screen secures notebooks from visual hacking
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai receive Khel Ratna award
- Significance of why Lord Shiva wears tiger skin! Read more
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra rock 'Baar Baar Dekho' promotions—Watch video!
- Rajnath Singh to head all-party delegation to Kashmir on September 4