Gowda blames UPA for rupee hitting all-time low
Bangalore: Former Prime Minister HD Deve Gowda on Wednesday blamed UPA II for the Rupee tanking to a lifetime low of 68.85 against the US Dollar, citing "inconsistent" economic policies and "lack of trust" of investors in the ruling establishment.
"UPA II is to be blamed for it (Rupee fall). Their policies have not yielded any result. They first allowed 40 per cent foreign investment, then 50 and now 100 per cent. They went on making changes after changes. Has it yielded any result?" he told reporters after a meeting of senior JD-S leaders` here.
On BJP`s demand asking the UPA government to resign and go in for fresh elections over the Rupee fall, Gowda said "it is up to UPA II to decide on fresh elections."
Gowda said "frankly speaking, it wouldn`t be easy for the next Prime Minister, belonging either to NDA or any other party, to bring the Rupee back on track. He will have to struggle for sure."
To a query, he said the Food Security Bill reflects the Congress government`s `failure` to eradicate problems relating to food.
"They (Congress) say it is a major step and 69 per cent of the people are going to be covered under this bill. What does it mean?. (Does it mean that) all these 60 years, all our plans have failed to remove poverty, unemployment? Berozgari hatao, garibi hatao, all these slogans have gone. Likewise, people will also forget Food Security Bill," Gowda said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’