Gowda seeks CBI probe into BMIC `land scam`
Bangalore: Alleging that the Bangalore-Mysore
Infrastructure Corridor (BMIC) `land scam` in Karnataka
matched that of the 2G Spectrum in magnitude, former Prime
Minister H D Devegowda on Saturday urged Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh to order a CBI investigation into it.
"The BMIC land scam runs to the tune of about Rs 50,000
crore and the BJP government has indulged in irregularities
like denotification of lands and violating Frame Work
Agreement (FWA)," Gowda, who has been opposing the project
told a press conference here.
"Let there be a CBI probe into the project, including
during my tenure as Chief Minister", Gowda, who signed the MoU
for the express highway project in 1994, said.
He alleged that some agents of Nandi Infrastructure
Corridor Enterprise (NICE), promoters of the project have been
forcibly evicting farmers and taking over land which was not
part of the project and also FWA. Such action amounts to
committing contempt of court of the Supreme Court order.
Gowda said he had sent a book on land scams of Karnataka
involving the Yeddyurappa government to BJP leader L K Advani,
`who has been waging a battle against corruption and black
money,` but regretted he had so far not said anything about it.
He alleged that about 139 acres of notified land in Kengeri
Hobli has been denotified and some persons have purchased it.
He pointed out that an advocate representing Jnanpith award
winner U R Ananthamurthy, one of the petitioners in the Apex
Court against the project, had drawn the government`s attention
to the irregular land denotification and sale.
Gowda, who was also one of the petitioners, said he would
file another one, seeking intervention of the Apex Court on
`irregularities` being committed on acquisition and
denotification of land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?