Gowda seeks PM`s intervention against `mining mafia`
Bangalore: JDS chief H D Deve Gowda on Thursday
sought PM Manmohan Singh`s intervention into the alleged
illegal mining situation in Karnataka, especially Bellary
district, where he said the `mining mafia` was `ruling the
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Gowda
allleged there was "no semblance of rule of law especially in
Bellary District" and accused the BJP Government of being "not
only a mute spectator but fully complicit and partner in the
crime" (of illegal mining).
Gowda requested Singh to ask the Governor to submit a
report on the situation and "to invoke appropriate
constitutional mechanism to ensure rule of law prevails in
Gowda targeted Tourism Minister Janardhana Reddy and his
brother and Revenue Minister Karunakara Reddy, who are under
the scanner of the Supreme Court for alleged illegal mining in
Bellary district and neighbouring Andhra Pradesh.
Gowda`s letter, copies of which were released at a press
conference, came days after the owner of a private mine, on
whose petition the apex court stayed operations by the Reddy
brothers owned Obulapuram Mining Company, and his two brothers
were attacked by an unidentified gang here.
The State Human Rights Commission`s order and Lokayukta
report along with recent attack on the owner of TMR Mining
company Tapal Ganesh for assisting Survey of India team to
conduct survey of OMC mining area provided "sufficient
material to invoke Constitutional mechanism", Gowda said.
In a similar letter addressed to state Governor Hansraj
Bhardwaj, the JDS leader urged him to "act upon the prevailing
situation and exercise his Constitutional responsibility".
"It is my duty as a former Prime Minister and Chief
Minister to bring such daylight looting of natural resources
by the mining mafia which is calling the shots in the state,
to their notice. It is for them to take action," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi