Gowda seeks PM`s intervention against `mining mafia`
Bangalore: JDS chief H D Deve Gowda on Thursday
sought PM Manmohan Singh`s intervention into the alleged
illegal mining situation in Karnataka, especially Bellary
district, where he said the `mining mafia` was `ruling the
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Gowda
allleged there was "no semblance of rule of law especially in
Bellary District" and accused the BJP Government of being "not
only a mute spectator but fully complicit and partner in the
crime" (of illegal mining).
Gowda requested Singh to ask the Governor to submit a
report on the situation and "to invoke appropriate
constitutional mechanism to ensure rule of law prevails in
Gowda targeted Tourism Minister Janardhana Reddy and his
brother and Revenue Minister Karunakara Reddy, who are under
the scanner of the Supreme Court for alleged illegal mining in
Bellary district and neighbouring Andhra Pradesh.
Gowda`s letter, copies of which were released at a press
conference, came days after the owner of a private mine, on
whose petition the apex court stayed operations by the Reddy
brothers owned Obulapuram Mining Company, and his two brothers
were attacked by an unidentified gang here.
The State Human Rights Commission`s order and Lokayukta
report along with recent attack on the owner of TMR Mining
company Tapal Ganesh for assisting Survey of India team to
conduct survey of OMC mining area provided "sufficient
material to invoke Constitutional mechanism", Gowda said.
In a similar letter addressed to state Governor Hansraj
Bhardwaj, the JDS leader urged him to "act upon the prevailing
situation and exercise his Constitutional responsibility".
"It is my duty as a former Prime Minister and Chief
Minister to bring such daylight looting of natural resources
by the mining mafia which is calling the shots in the state,
to their notice. It is for them to take action," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal