Gowda seeks PM`s intervention against `mining mafia`
Bangalore: JDS chief H D Deve Gowda on Thursday
sought PM Manmohan Singh`s intervention into the alleged
illegal mining situation in Karnataka, especially Bellary
district, where he said the `mining mafia` was `ruling the
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Gowda
allleged there was "no semblance of rule of law especially in
Bellary District" and accused the BJP Government of being "not
only a mute spectator but fully complicit and partner in the
crime" (of illegal mining).
Gowda requested Singh to ask the Governor to submit a
report on the situation and "to invoke appropriate
constitutional mechanism to ensure rule of law prevails in
Gowda targeted Tourism Minister Janardhana Reddy and his
brother and Revenue Minister Karunakara Reddy, who are under
the scanner of the Supreme Court for alleged illegal mining in
Bellary district and neighbouring Andhra Pradesh.
Gowda`s letter, copies of which were released at a press
conference, came days after the owner of a private mine, on
whose petition the apex court stayed operations by the Reddy
brothers owned Obulapuram Mining Company, and his two brothers
were attacked by an unidentified gang here.
The State Human Rights Commission`s order and Lokayukta
report along with recent attack on the owner of TMR Mining
company Tapal Ganesh for assisting Survey of India team to
conduct survey of OMC mining area provided "sufficient
material to invoke Constitutional mechanism", Gowda said.
In a similar letter addressed to state Governor Hansraj
Bhardwaj, the JDS leader urged him to "act upon the prevailing
situation and exercise his Constitutional responsibility".
"It is my duty as a former Prime Minister and Chief
Minister to bring such daylight looting of natural resources
by the mining mafia which is calling the shots in the state,
to their notice. It is for them to take action," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview