Gowda wants PM to send team to Karnataka, TN
Bangalore: Former Prime Minister HD Deve Gowda Friday disagreed with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh ruling asking Karnataka to release 9,000 cusecs of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu and wanted the Centre to depute teams for an on-the-spot assessment of storage level in both states.
The Prime Minister should have deputed officials from the Water Resources ministry to assess the ground reality and storage level before convening the Cauvery River Authority meeting of riparian states, Gowda told a press meet here.
"Without undertaking this exercise, Singh not only convened a meeting but also issued the direction to Karnataka in the absence of any data on the situation. Even now it is not too late.
The Centre should depute teams to both states. I will soon write a letter to the Prime Minister in this regard", Gowda said.
He welcomed state Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar`s stand on not releasing water to Tamil Nadu.
Gowda pointed out that the storage level in K.R.S dam stood at 80 tmcft and the state required 67 tmcft for irrigation and also water to meet drinking water needs. Contrary to this, there is no water requirement now in Tamil Nadu, he claimed and accused that state of "unnecessarily" raking up the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video