Green panel halts DRDO project at Chitradurga in Karnataka
Chennai: Defence Research and Development Organisation`s project for setting up an Aeronautical Testing range at Chitradurga in Karnataka has been halted by the National Green Tribunal as it did not have necessary clearance from Karnataka Pollution Control Board.
The southern bench of the tribunal passed the interim order while hearing a petition filed by environmental activists from Bangalore, who alleged that the farm lands in the area were converted for the testing range.
The petition submitted that over 10,000 acres of farm lands called `Amrit Mahal Kaval` in Karnataka were being converted for industrial purposes violating norms and the land was transferred to various organisations such as the DRDO, Indian Institute of Science and Indian Space Research Organisation by the Karnataka government.
The petition further sought a direction to restore the lands to its original self without any encroachment and construction.
The NGT had set up an expert committee to go into the actual status of the land in Chitradurga and the committee had submitted its report recently.
When the matter came up yesterday, counsel for respondents said no clearance from the KPCB was necessary for the project and it was clarified by the Environment and Forests Ministry. It was contended that if the NGT passed an order halting the project, it will result in huge loss of public money.
Observing that the DRDO had gone ahead with the construction even as its application to the KPCB was pending, the bench said it was not in accordance with norms.
The tribunal ordered that status quo should be maintained till the KPCB considered the application and processed it as per the requirements. The matter was posted to September 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore