Hate speech: Privilege notice against K`taka DGP
Mumbai: NCP legislator Shashikant Shinde Wednesday gave a breach of privilege notice in the Legislative Assembly against Karnataka Director General of Police for filing a FIR against Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil.
Speaking on the notice, Shinde said filing an FIR against the state`s Home Minister was a "motivated act on part of the Karnataka government."
"R R Patil was not speaking on a public platform but a private function. Speaking for the rights of Marathi speaking people in Belgaum does not amount to promoting enmity between different groups and provoking and creating disharmony between communities on the basis of religion, race, place of birth and language under the Representation of People Act," Shinde said.
He said the Karnataka government must be hurt that the Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti had a landslide win in the Belgaum Municipal Corporation elections and fears that the Marathi people in Belgaum will again express their will through the ballot in the Assembly elections next month.
The FIR against Patil was filed on April 10, by Karnataka police for promoting enmity between different groups through his speech on Belgaum, a bone of contention between the two states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday