Have re-look at the allotment of iron mines: SC to K`taka govt
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today asked the
Karnataka government to decide afresh the matter for allotment
of iron mines to four companies, including JSW Steel`s Jindal
Vijaynagar Steel Ltd, within next four months.
Setting aside the order of the Karnataka High Court, a
bench comprising Justices P Sathasivam and H L Dattu, directed
the state government to finalise applications of the four
companies for mining at the Kumaraswamy range of Bellary
district and recommend the names to the Centre for approval.
Besides JSW Steel, the other companies were the Sandur
Manganese & Iron Ores Ltd, MSPL Ltd and Kalyani Steels Ltd.
"We direct the State Government to consider all
applications afresh in light of our interpretation of Section
11 of the Act and Rules 35, 59 and 60 of MC Rules and make a
recommendation to the Central Government within a period of
four months from the date of receipt of the copy of this
judgement," the bench said.
The apex court also quashed the decision of the Karnataka
government and the subsequent decision of central Government
over the allocation of mines to the JSW Steel group firm.
Earlier, MSPL had challenged the high court`s order to
allow the state government to recommend mining leases in the
region to JSW Steel and Kalyani Steels.
JSW Steel runs 6.8 million tonnes steel plant at
Vijaynagar in Karnataka and is expected to commission the
expanded 3 million tonnes line by next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting underway - Big prestige battle for BJP and Shiv Sena
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena marches ahead in BMC, but BJP gains lead in Pune