Have re-look at the allotment of iron mines: SC to K`taka govt
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today asked the
Karnataka government to decide afresh the matter for allotment
of iron mines to four companies, including JSW Steel`s Jindal
Vijaynagar Steel Ltd, within next four months.
Setting aside the order of the Karnataka High Court, a
bench comprising Justices P Sathasivam and H L Dattu, directed
the state government to finalise applications of the four
companies for mining at the Kumaraswamy range of Bellary
district and recommend the names to the Centre for approval.
Besides JSW Steel, the other companies were the Sandur
Manganese & Iron Ores Ltd, MSPL Ltd and Kalyani Steels Ltd.
"We direct the State Government to consider all
applications afresh in light of our interpretation of Section
11 of the Act and Rules 35, 59 and 60 of MC Rules and make a
recommendation to the Central Government within a period of
four months from the date of receipt of the copy of this
judgement," the bench said.
The apex court also quashed the decision of the Karnataka
government and the subsequent decision of central Government
over the allocation of mines to the JSW Steel group firm.
Earlier, MSPL had challenged the high court`s order to
allow the state government to recommend mining leases in the
region to JSW Steel and Kalyani Steels.
JSW Steel runs 6.8 million tonnes steel plant at
Vijaynagar in Karnataka and is expected to commission the
expanded 3 million tonnes line by next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report