HC adjourns hearing on petitions against Lokayukta
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court Tuesday adjourned to November 26 the hearing on petitions filed by Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Enterprise (NICE) and others challenging the Lokayukta Court order initiating probe into a controversial expressway project.
When five petitions filed by NICE and its sister concerns came up for hearing before Justice H Billappa, senior counsels Dushyanth Dave and C V Nagesh, appearing for them, sought a stay of the Lokayukta court order.
This was stoutly objected to by respondent T J Abraham, on whose private complaint the probe had been ordered. He submitted that he was willing to file his objections on November 23 and the matter may be heard on that day.
At this, Dave sought time till November 26 and sought an interim stay till then, which was not granted by the court.
On October 25, the Lokayukta Court ordered probe against three former Karnataka chief ministers -- H D Deve Gowda, also a former prime minister, former External Affairs Minister S M Krishna and B S Yeddyurappa -- and 27 others in connection with the alleged corruption and illegalities in the Bangalore Mysore Infrastructure Corridor (BMIC) project, awarded to NICE and its sister companies, when Gowda was the Chief Minister.
Meanwhile, Nitin, counsel for Deve Gowda, the first accused in the case, submitted he had filed an Interlocutory Application seeking that his client be impleaded.
Abraham objected to this and submitted that "as per law they are required to file an application under section 482 CrPC as he (Deve Gowda) is the first accused and this kind of attempt is only to destroy the case".
The court then directed the IA be placed before the registry on whether to allow it or not and adjourned the matter for further hearing to November 26.
Managing Director of NICE Ashok Kheny, its sister concern Nandi Economic Corridor Enterprise (NECE), former Director NICE, Shivakumar Kheny and Chairman NICE, Baba Kalyani have filed petitions challenging the Lokayukta court order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city