HC allows 3 petitions filed by Min in Megacity Scam case
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court Tuesday quashed cases filed by the Serious Fraud Investigation Office against state Forest Minister C P Yogeeshawara in a lower court in connection with the megacity project scam in view of criminal cases filed by Registrar of Companies for same offences
Justice H N Nagamohan Das allowed three petitions filed by Yogeeshwara seeking quashing of the proceedings in cases which are pending before the Special Court of Economic Offence on the ground that already Registrar of Companies had filed criminal case alleging same offences against him and others.
Therefore, the Serious Fraud Investigation Office under the Union Ministry of Corporate Affairs cannot maintain the cases on the very same ground, the court observed, adding "the petitioner cannot be subjected two cases alleging similar offence and since it would amount to "double jeopardy, it is liable to be quashed".
Another criminal petition seeking quashing of another case was disposed of on the ground that it had been transferred to the Special Court from a lower court for common evidence to be recorded and the case to be decided on merit.
Yet another petition seeking quashing of one more case was dismissed as withdrawn.
In all Yogeeshwara had filed 19 criminal petitions seeking quashing of various cases and anticipatory bail out which five had been withdrawn, including one today.
The remaining 10 petitions will be heard on November 22.
Yogeeshwara is facing 14 cases concerning the Mega City (Bangalore) Builders and Developers Ltd (MDBL), an entity floated by him in April 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH