HC expresses concern over exodus of northeast people
Bangalore: The issue of exodus of people of the northeast from the city figured in the Karnataka High Court on Thursday with Chief Justice Vikramajit Sen expressing concern over it.
"Everybody in the state from other parts of the country are living in fear. What is happening," Sen asked.
Hearing a PIL filed by an advocate S Vasudeva seeking action against those indulging in moral policing, a division bench, headed by the Chief Justice, expressed concern and, enquired about the incident with the Advocate General.
Dismissing it as a rumour, Advocate General S Vijay Shankar said, "The home minister had visited these people at the railway station. Some of them were questioned. Nobody said they have been threatened," he said.
In response, the chief justice pointed out that such incidents were happening frequently and observed "even if the rumours are blown out of proportion, there should be something behind it".
When the Advocate General sought to link yesterday`s incident with recent clashes in Assam, the Chief Justice questioned as to how the two were connected and directed the state to file details regarding the security measures taken within two weeks.
"There is apprehension among people who have come from outside. They feel their safety is jeopardised. Why is this happening in Karnataka? It (the state) will regret it if this attitude continues," the bench observed.
The Advocate General then submitted that all those (northeastern people) at the railway station were assured of protection and a special task force has been constituted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi