HC extends stay on medical test of Nithyananda
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court today extended till August 22 its stay on the recent order of a district court directing controversial self-styled godman Nithyananda, facing criminal charges including rape, to undergo a potency test.
When the criminal petition filed by Nithyananda seeking quashing of the June 20 Ramanagara District court order, Justice V Jagannathan extended the stay, granted yesterday, till the next hearing and adjourned the matter to August 22.
Earlier, senior counsel C V Nagesh, representing Nithyananda, submitted that the Ramanagara court order was "not maintainable" as the Investigative Agency (CID) in this case had invoked a provision under 53(A) of the CrPC under which an accused can be subjected to a medical examination provided such an examination discloses commission of rape.
Nagesh said the potency test sought by the CID in this case would only disclose whether the petitioner was capable of commission of such an offence and would not reveal any evidence with regard to commission of rape that was allegedly committed seven years ago.
The senior counsel contended that the police had sought the test with a "malafide intention, based on an incident that occurred way back in 2006" and claimed that the potency test was not maintainable in law.
Nithyananda is facing charges of rape and criminal intimidation levelled against him in 2010 after some TV channels telecast purported video footage of the self-styled godman in a compromising position with an actress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?