HC quashes Lokayukta court order against Kumaraswamy
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court on Monday quashed a Lokayukta court order initiating proceedings against JD-S leader and former chief minister HD Kumaraswamy in a land denotifcation case but ordered that the matter be considered afresh taking into account two additional chargesheets.
Allowing a criminal petition by Kumaraswamy, Justice HN Nagamohan Das quashed the April 21 last order of the Lokayukta Court Judge holding that when the impugned order was passed the additional and second chargesheets were not available on record and were filed subsequently.
"Therefore, it is necessary to consider all the three chargesheets filed by the police to pass appropriate orders in accordance with law. Therefore the matter is required to be remanded to the Special Court for fresh consideration in accordance with law," the Judge said.
Quashing the proceedings, Justice Das also said the Special Judge had passed the April 21 last order without applying his mind to the contents of the chargesheet.
"...The Special Judge without applying his mind to the contents of the chargesheet, had mechanically passed the impugned order taking cognisance of the offences punishable which are not specified in the chargesheet. On this ground, the impugned order passed by the Special Judge is liable to be quashed".
The court also observed the lower court order was contrary to the chargesheet filed by the police.
The case filed on a private complaint related to alleged irregularities in denotification of three acres on city outskirts by Kumaraswamy as chief minister in 2007.
Observing that the court should apply its mind and take note of allegations made in the complaint, evidence collected during investigation and whether is it (the complaint) an abuse of process of court. The court shall not issue process in a mechanical manner, the Judge said.
On June 8, Kumaraswamy was granted anticipatory bail in the case by the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- South China Sea critical to US national security: White House