HC quashes Lokayukta court order against Kumaraswamy
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court on Monday quashed a Lokayukta court order initiating proceedings against JD-S leader and former chief minister HD Kumaraswamy in a land denotifcation case but ordered that the matter be considered afresh taking into account two additional chargesheets.
Allowing a criminal petition by Kumaraswamy, Justice HN Nagamohan Das quashed the April 21 last order of the Lokayukta Court Judge holding that when the impugned order was passed the additional and second chargesheets were not available on record and were filed subsequently.
"Therefore, it is necessary to consider all the three chargesheets filed by the police to pass appropriate orders in accordance with law. Therefore the matter is required to be remanded to the Special Court for fresh consideration in accordance with law," the Judge said.
Quashing the proceedings, Justice Das also said the Special Judge had passed the April 21 last order without applying his mind to the contents of the chargesheet.
"...The Special Judge without applying his mind to the contents of the chargesheet, had mechanically passed the impugned order taking cognisance of the offences punishable which are not specified in the chargesheet. On this ground, the impugned order passed by the Special Judge is liable to be quashed".
The court also observed the lower court order was contrary to the chargesheet filed by the police.
The case filed on a private complaint related to alleged irregularities in denotification of three acres on city outskirts by Kumaraswamy as chief minister in 2007.
Observing that the court should apply its mind and take note of allegations made in the complaint, evidence collected during investigation and whether is it (the complaint) an abuse of process of court. The court shall not issue process in a mechanical manner, the Judge said.
On June 8, Kumaraswamy was granted anticipatory bail in the case by the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video