HC reserves verdict on Bidari case for May 28
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Friday reserved its judgement for May 28 on the plea filed by DGP, S M Bidari seeking his reinstatement as the Inspector General and Director General of Police,Karnataka.
A Division Bench, comprising Justice N Kumar and Justice H S Kempanna, reserved the verdict on the petition after conclusion of arguments by both sides.
Earlier, senior counsel representing Bidari, S N Chandrashekhar filed a memo seeking permission to withdraw the Interlocutory Application (IA) filed by him praying for referring the matter to a different bench subsequent to the assurance by the bench that it would review the case as per Supreme Court directions and go "only by facts of the case".
The memo was then taken on record and the IA filed by Bidari and that filed by the respondent, present IGP and DGP A R Infant praying for contempt proceedings against his predecessor, were accordingly dismissed.
Making his submissions on behalf of the state as it had filed a similar connected writ plea, Advocate General S Vijay Shankar stated that Bidari has nowhere been indicted in the report submitted by the National Human Rights Commission probing the alleged atrocities of the STF headed by him during operations to nab sandalwood smuggler Veerappan.
Since Bidari was not indicted, the Advocate General submitted that the document was not considered relevant and not sent to the Union Public Service Commission for empanelment.
"The documents are not relevant and their non inclusion in the dossier (sent by the state government to the UPSC), does not vitiate the empanelment", Vijay Shankar contended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened