HC reserves verdict on French diplomat`s bail plea
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Thursday reserved its verdict on the bail petition filed by French diplomat Pascal Mazurier, arrested here on charges of raping his three-and-a-half-year-old daughter.
Justice HN Nagamohan Das reserved his judgement on the petition after completion of arguments.
Opposing grant of bail, Pramila Nesargi, the advocate for Pascal`s wife Suja Jones, submitted that since the probe in the matter is still incomplete and considering the "character of the petitioner", there is not only every chance of him tampering with the witnesses but there is also a danger to the life of the child.
Nesargi claimed that the "actual DNA profile of the child has not been done at all".
Special Public Prosecutor HS Chandramouli submitted that since further investigation is to be conducted, custody of the petitioner is necessary.
In reply, senior counsel CV Nagesh, representing Pascal, alleged the case was totally based on circumstantial evidence and the complainant (Suja Jones) was never present on the scene.
Nagesh said the DNA report would only exonerate his client and therefore there was no question of him tampering with evidence or the witnesses.
Since his client`s passport had also been seized, there is no question of his fleeing the country and therefore he (Pascal) is entitled for bail on all grounds.
Pascal Mazurier, the consular attache to the Consulate General of France, here, was arrested on June 19 following a complaint by his wife Suja Jones Mazurier, a native of Kerala, alleging that he had raped their daughter.
On July 27, Fast Track Court-I had rejected his bail plea observing that "though DNA test has not tallied with the DNA profile of the accused, bail cannot be granted to him only on this ground”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?