HC upholds life sentence of 4 convicts in techie murder

Last Updated: Thursday, November 4, 2010 - 19:57

Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Thursday
upheld the life sentence awarded to 4 persons by a lower
court in connection with the murder of a software engineer by
his fiancee and her associates.

A division bench, comprising justices N Ananda and A S
Pachhapure dismissed the criminal appeals filed by Shubha and
three others, challenging a city fast track court judgement of
July 14, sentencing them to life.

B V Girish, a software engineer with Intel, who had
been engaged to Shubha, an advocate by profession, was
murdered here on December 3, 2003.

Police had named Shubha and 3others -- Aruna
Verma, Venkatesh and Dinesh -- in the charge sheet for
murdering Girish.

The high court hearing on the appeal by Shubha and
3 others took a curious turn following distribution of
pamphlets in the court titled "Get Justice for Girish".
Justice K Sridhar Rao who heard it, later recused
himself from the hearing.

Chief Justice J S Khehar posted the matter before a
division bench, headed by Justice N Anand.
Later, responding to reporters` queries, special
public prosecutor Venkat Rao said the state had filed cross
appeals seeking death sentence for Venkatesh and life for the
other three under Section 304.

"The division bench has upheld our appeals and
modified the lower court order, sentencing all the four to
life imprisonment under Sec 304. But our appeal for death
sentence for Venkatesh has not been considered," he said.

Ratna, Girish`s sister-in-law said she was quite
satisfied with the order, obtained after a seven-year battle
for justice.

"We have got justice. Basically our faith in the
judiciary has been reinforced."

On whether they would approach the Supreme Court for
enhancement of sentence for the convicted, she said the matter
would have to be discussed with their lawyers.

"At this point, I can only say that we are very
relieved and satisfied."

Shubha (28) and boyfriend Arun Verma, her junior in
college, his cousin Dinesh had conspired to murder Girish
after her father forced her to get engaged on learning of her

Arun and Shubha then hired Venkatesh for Rs 1,500 to
murder Girish.

On December 3, 2003 Shubha got Girish to take her out
to dinner and made him stop his bike near jumbo Point near HAL
airport. Even as Girish was watching a flight take off,
Venkatesh hit him on the back of his head with a shock
absorber and sped away on Arun`s bike.

Girish`s body was found the next day.

Shubha was arrested in January 2004 and was in
judicial custody for over three months before she was granted

All the four were sentenced to life and slapped with a
fine of Rs 50,000 each by the fast track court on July 14.


First Published: Thursday, November 4, 2010 - 19:57

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus